Subscribe for awesome emails

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, April 13, 2015

Birth story of Scarlett Rosalee

She's about to turn 6 months old and I have been thinking about her birth story a lot lately. I wanted to type it out before my memory started to fade and the details became blurry.

October 16, 2014 - I went to the doctors office for my 38 week checkup. The previous week I was informed that I was already dilated to 2 and 70% effaced. I knew going in that there could be more progress and hoped there would be. To no surprise I was now 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. My doctor, Dr. Gordon, asked me if I wanted my membranes stripped. She assured me that it would most likely put me into labor the coming weekend (it was currently a Thursday). Seeing that my husband was coming home from work for the weekend I saw that as most opportune so I accepted the offer. This was my first time having my membranes stripped and it wasn't near as painful or uncomfortable as I had heard.

I went home from the office and was currently home alone with my two boys ages 11 and 2. A few hours later (around 4pm) I went to the restroom and when I turned ever so slightly toward to toilet paper roll hanging from the wall I heard a little pop and felt a gush of fluid. My first thoughts were, 'did my water just break or did my back just pop?' and 'was that pee or amniotic fluids?'. Unsure of what just happened I cleaned up and went down stairs. Once I reached the family room I felt more gushes of fluid. I still wasn't having any cramping or contractions but I was now sure I was going into labor. I texted my sisters that my water just broke and then called my husband to tell him to leave immediately from the fire station that was 2.5 hours away. Once my son, Tyler, realized what was happening he started to freak out and kept saying "we need to call 911!". I told him, "no, we need to call Marie!". Marie was one of my planned neighbors to call if I went into labor alone. Which was sure to happen with my parents in Europe and it being a VERY busy fire season for daddy.

I called Marie and she was at the grocery store with her 4 children and a full cart of food. She assured me it was ok and that she was leaving her cart and coming right over. She even called her husband, who was working in Placerville, to come over and watch all the kids while she took me to the hospital. Can you say rock star friends!?! Aaron arrived within 30 minutes and off we went. Once we started down the road I started to finally feel some mild contractions. We arrived at the hospital within 20 minutes. I got out of the car and noticed my seat was SOAKED. To my luck I was wearing a skirt so the long walk from the parking lot to the maternity ward was quite comical. I had gushes of fluid with every step and it just poured down my legs and created little puddle behind me. Tyler, who tagged along, noticed the puddles and yelled "EW, Gross! What IS that?!?". Then decided he was safer walking ahead of me and not behind. Thanks kiddo. I even left a glossy mess throughout the lobby, the halls, and into the maternity ward. I embarrassingly had to tell security about it so no one would slip and try to sue the hospital.

Partial relief. I'm in a hospital room surrounded by skilled nurses. My new concern is whether or not Deke would make it in time for the birth. He was sending constant texts of whereabouts and traffic conditions. Of course by the time I got there I was already 5 cm dilated and I was progressing quickly. To my great relief (as I'm sure the epidural had nothing to do with that ;)) Deke arrived around 7pm. Marie left with Tyler once Deke arrived. Tyler was bummed because he wanted to be in the room when she was born but only one person could spend the night and that was going to be daddy. He was finally there and holding my hand firmly through contractions. Although I had an epidural my body was still reacting to the contractions and I would shake uncontrollably when they started.

8pm rolled around and the nurse informed me it was time to start pushing. To my shock the on call doctor told Deke to gear up and that he was going to deliver the baby. Ummm, what? Deke was gowned head to toe and stood in front of me while the doctor stood beside him telling him what to do. He massaged my "area" and turned the head as I pushed her out. Hands ready he caught our little sweetheart and placed her on my chest. Believe it or not as I was pushing I was holding my camera taking pictures of Deke doing a miraculous job delivering our baby girl, talk about multitasking! She was born at 8:14pm - only 4 hours after my water broke! She was my biggest baby weighing 8 pounds 12 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long.

We decided to name her Scarlett Rosalee. We chose Scarlett because the first name I had chosen, Charlotte, was becoming WAY too popular for my liking. So we selected a similar name that was just as pretty but not quite as high on the list of popularity. Rosalee was my grandmother who had passed away the previous year. It also seemed appropriate since our son was given my grandfathers name as his middle name. Harley and Rosa Lee Hyde were both passed down to my children. Luckily I loved the names!

I really never thought I would have a girl. All growing up I would say that I only wanted boys because girls are too much trouble. After having two boys in a row my sisters all thought I was definitely going to have an all boy household. I knew I was having a girl once my pregnancy started because it was so different from my boy pregnancies. We were so used to calling her a she that the ultrasound came as zero shock. We were having a little girl. 6 months later I can definitely attest that girls are all drama! She has earned herself the nickname "Screamin' Scarlett". However, we completely adore our precious princess. She is a perfect match for our growing family. <3

Pin It!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow Kim what a great story! Way to go Deke! So happy for you guys. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...