Subscribe for awesome emails

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, January 31, 2011

Somethings Missing...

Since I've started night school something has been missing from my evenings, oh yeah - dinner. I get off work at 3:30, pick Tyler up from the Boys and Girls Club, get home around 4, attempt homework with Tyler, leave for school at 5, get home almost at 8, get Tyler to bed, do MY homework, and then hit the hay. I hardly think about my forgotten meal until the hunger pangs hit me in the a.m. (5:30 a.m. to be exact).

My solution to no time for hot meals is to drink my dinner instead. I decided to start with a healthy green kale, spinach, pear smoothie. Sound good? It was an interesting concoction but the healthy rewards are blog worthy. Kale and spinach are rich in folic acid, fiber, protein, and consumption is recommended daily. This drink will satisfy you longer, stabilize blood sugar, and promote a better mood - all 3 are much needed for me. I've listed the recipe below, give it a try :)



1 heaping cup spinach leaves
1 heaping cup chopped kale leaves
1/2 pear
1 frozen banana
1 1/2 cups cold almond milk (or soy milk or orange juice)
1 tablespoon honey
Remove kale leaves from their rough center stalk and coarsely chop. In a blender, combine kale spinach and almond milk. Blend until no big kale bits remain. Stop blender and add banana honey and pear. Blend until smooth.
Pin It!

4 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

Sounds really good. Do you think I could use my purple kale? Thanks for sharing - I need to try this :)

In a nut shell... said...

hmmmm I don't see why not! I bet that would make an interesting color, let me know how it works out!

Lisa said...

I would totally drink this. Do you need a VitaMix, or would a regular blender work?

In a nut shell... said...

I used a regular blender and it worked just fine :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...